Thursday, August 7, 2008

Week 7 Thing #16 and #17 Wikis

Thing #16  After looking at several wikis and reading some of the articles, my opinion of wikis is mixed.  As an elementary librarian with 6-7 classes every day and no paid help, I don't see myself having much time to search wikis or add information to one.  However, I can see them as a tool for pathfinders to support classroom curriculum and for collaborating on a document.  In a District with four librarians covering six schools and little time to meet, we often find ourselves repeating work others have done.  I could start a wiki organized by grade level and subject matter.  Then I could add titles of library materials I sent to classrooms for each unit and library lesson plans that correlate  with the unit. Other librarians could add titles. lessons, etc.  
I also see it as an improvement over email to collaborate on a document.  We often send out an email and everyone sends their comments back to the sender who tries to compile the results.  A wiki would make the job easier. Everyone would be able to see the other comments immediately. 
Thing #17  Looked at the PA Curriculum Connection Wiki.  Tried to add a post but couldn't log in.  I must have missed were the invite key information was given

No comments: